In 1822 the Vestry of Trinity Church decided to build a Chapel of Ease to accommodate members of the British garrison and the increasing number of Anglicans living in the fast growing Port City. Stone Church got its nickname because the stones for the church were brought from England as ballast on returning cargo ships, though its official name remains St. John’s Church. The first service was held on Sunday, September 11, 1825. The parish has had a long and faithful history of Christian witness in Saint John, with an emphasis on biblical preaching, evangelical teaching and social engagement in the community. The congregation continues to seek God's guidance and empowerment to find fresh and relevant ways to connect with people and bring the gospel message to the heart of our city.
St. John's (Stone) Church is a National Historic site. Visit http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=4448